Mortad
The Myth of Purity
10 track CD
(Metal Hammer)
2012
Mortad – London
Links:
Genre: Metal
Well I first clicked on LIKE when I heard Mortad sometime ago in 2010, when they had about 300 fans now that figure reaches well past 42,000. 42,447 (and counting) to be precise. But nothing less than Somi and her band of metal heads deserve. They have worked tirelessly in the past two years and now reaping the benefits of their labour.
When I first clicked on that link I was amazed at the brutality that ushered forth and was even more astounded that a woman could sing with such grit and ferocity. Since then I have seen for myself that women can do just as good a job as any man.
Somi also writes the lyrics that aim toward hypocrisy of religion and government in the face of oppression – and what an amazing job she done!
The Mortad Biog is impressive to say the least and the band is rubbing shoulders with not only Metal Hammer, but Bloodstock, Hammerfest and Alchemy and gaining recognition wherever they perform.
The drive and determination of Somi Arian is really astounding. Hailing from Iran where it states within the pages of Metal Hammer that in her country you can be arrested for owning a guitar. I personally am glad that Somi is in the UK and doing what she is doing, and hope one day to be able to congratulate her in person for her superb offerings to the metal scene – That will be a proud day for me.
Somi battles the English language each time she writes lyrics – something I find totally amazing not just from Somi but every foreign band that has to do this – languages are my bag so to speak, but writing a song in another language – well that is just superb in my book. Although I would love to hear Somi produce something in her own language – now, that really would be Metal! Although if you listen carefully to the "The Voice" you will hear what Persian sounds like and this is a really good start!
Whenever I hear the name MORTAD – I get a tingle down my spine because I know that whatever they produce is from the heart and will be in the brutal genre – a genre that I am truly at home in. So going out and getting my copy of Metal Hammer was a must! Maybe one day I will get my copy signed by the quartet – here’s hoping!!
All that’s born musty be destroyed
A fantastic opening on this track! The blast beats are just incredible. Somi sounds like a tormented soul. You can feel the metal flowing through the veins as the music unfolds. There is great melody to this track too! The guitars are powerful with a strong bass line and really carve a powerful path along the metal road!
Waste of my rage
Beautiful ambient strings open this track and then the gut wrenching power unleashes through the speakers as Somi’s mighty voice kicks into action. The shrill kick ass guitar wails at intervals giving it that unusual twist, and again the beats are powerful and relentless.
The Heights
A plundering of beats usher forth along with some more dynamic screeches from Somi. A good melody in there too that carries the listener to greater heights. No escaping from the raucous and malicious beats that this track has to offer.
A plundering of beats usher forth along with some more dynamic screeches from Somi. A good melody in there too that carries the listener to greater heights. No escaping from the raucous and malicious beats that this track has to offer.
Mirage
This is very unusual as at the beginning of the track Somi actually sings in a soft key that sounds distorted – this is a great twist! Although she does kick in with more ferocious offerings a little further into the track and the guitars spew out some powerful ripping chords along to some more awesome blast beats.
Feels like Suffocation
Somi tightens her grip around the throat and throttles you to death on this track. The melodic twist is fantastic – superb musicianship! A full sound with delicious drum beats and wailing guitars, I love this track to death!!!!!
The Myth of Purity
Wow can this CD get more dynamic? Yes it can! A chant like vocal with some superb guitar and blast beats galore of course, and a mean bass line. This is a great track!
I’m not interested in being interesting
Some awesome vocals from Somi on this track, it’s blindingly brilliant! I am very interested in being interested in this track – for sure! A very unusual song and most welcome on the cd.
By Default
Superb opening that gets the heart racing and the blood raging! That beat is to die for! Guitars are immense! Somi is like a rabid banshee about to eat her pray with very sharp teeth! It has another nice twist - Relentless ferocity and staggered guitars. So enjoy this track!
The Voice
The voice has indeed spoken and it says... this is amazing! It sounds like we are in the deepest bowels of metal underground hell. Somi has excelled herself vocally on this track. Her anger and aggression, becomes more apparent than on the previous track. Fast becoming my favourite on the CD and there are so many tracks to like on it! It has gigantic proportions of intensity and delivers to the end! I know why I like this track, not only because it is the most severe and savage, but because Somi actually screams some Persian on it! :D
That which is humane
A brilliant opening yet again, fast, furious and delivers in all the right places. Firing up to immense proportions! Another track, that has found a place in my heart. Kick ass and stupendous guitars a nasty bass line and more beats than a heart attack! Let the dynamite explode and make your ears bleed.
If you are one of the lucky people to have witnessed MORTAD live – I am jealous! If not and the band are playing near you – go check ‘em out and witness this LIVE. I plan on seeing if I can get them up North so that I too can witness this amazing quartet and feed off the delicious unrelenting metal that they portray!
Fantastic CD – go and buy Metal Hammer now! At just 4.75 it’s well worth it for the CD alone – 10 tracks of pure genius!!! The lyrics are below.
Track list:
All that’s born musty be destroyed
Waste of my rage
The Heights
Mirage
Feels like Suffocation
The Myth of Purity
I’m not interested in being interesting
By Default
The Voice
That which is humane
Members:
Somi Arian - Vocals
Jonathan Hughes - Guitar
Joseph Perumal - Bass
Szymek Lawik – Drums
The Myth of Purity (album lyrics)
By Mortad
·
All That’s Born Must Be Destroyed
The excess of history is dangerous to the present
History is worth knowing if you rewrite it yourself
Purpose of the past was not to weaken the here and now
To undermine, degenerate, mummify life itself
You can only justify yesterday by what is highest today
What is highest today?
The false sense of pride in an inherited legacy
Where history of your lineage becomes the story
Fabricates the past, the present and future
Saturates mind-sets with audacious arrogance
One must have the strength to break up the past
And wield the present for a superior life
Past is worth condemning
The only rule for mortals
The law of evolution
Evolution (x2)
Past is worth condemning
The only rule for mortals
The law of evolution
All that's born must be destroyed (x4)
Destroyed (x5)
You can only justify yesterday by what is highest today
You can only justify yesterday by what is highest today
What is highest today?
All that's born must be destroyed (x3)
-----------------------------------------------------
Waste of My Rage
Hate me nothing gives me more power than your loathing
Bring me down. I’ve seen a depth of darkness that you
Will never be able to grasp even in your - darkest hours
The harder you hit me, the higher I will rise
Pressure’s what turns a rough stone into a diamond
Wasting the force that you do not have trying to
Push me down, so let this tension be heightened
The harder you hit me, the higher I will rise
Pressure’ what turns a rough stone into a diamond
By laughter do I slay?
You are a waste of my rage
Since I’ve learnt to fly
I’ve not needed pushing
To move from a space
The familiar tune that you wished me to whisper in your ears
Yet another piece of contrived image that’s here today
And tomorrow like most of others, it will - disappear
By laughter do I slay?
You are a waste of my rage
Since I’ve learnt to fly
I’ve not needed pushing
To move from a space
The harder you hit me
The higher I will rise
I set my own destiny
No one makes or breaks me
-----------------------------------------------------
The Heights
Doubt befalls me, burns my faith to ashes
This long haul crushes...
Doubt befalls me, burns my faith to ashes
This long haul crushes my soul
You watch as I dig my ashes
Away from below, lower than low
In my mind trust, has no meaning
Justice is lost, so I'll let go
Doubt befalls me, burns my faith to ashes
This long haul crushes my soul
If you never stood by me as I ascend, don't anticipate standing by me
When I conquer the heights
Zeal overflows, as I outgrow
Pave my way through darkness
No beam of light comes into sight
One journey no destination
If you never stood by me as I ascend, don't anticipate standing by me.
If you never stood by me as I ascend, don't anticipate...
The heights
Every minute, every hour, every day (x2)
Every minute, every hour, every day
That passes is a mystery to myself (x2)
Had enough of futile attempts
Trying to define myself (x2)
If you never stood by me as I ascend, don't anticipate standing by me
When I conquer the heights
Doubt befalls me, burns my faith to ashes
This long haul crushes, crushes, crushes, crushes my soul
-----------------------------------------------------
Mirage
Gone are the days of strong convictions and unity
When the heart and the mind remained in synchrony
Sky was pale the soil black, no grey shades in between
Every step dreamed of moving a mountain
Can you recall when darkness was not fearsome?
Shadows at dusk, gazing far were so sublime
Ghost Reflections on brick walls, so mischievous
Thanks for Lyrics! Have A Nice Day:)
ReplyDelete