Total Pageviews

Sunday, 16 April 2017

North West Harley Davidson Club - Easter egg Run and Rally - Adlington Cricket Club - Friday 14th - Sunday 16th 2017

North West Harley Club
Easter egg Run and Rally
Adlington Cricket Club
Friday 14th – Sunday 16th April 2017



The weather was really kind to all of us as we arrived at the NWHC after picking up Mr Road King at his address – the sun gleaming down on the kind hearted bikers who had donated not only eggs but their time and effort into putting smiles on children’s faces, with their massive donations of Easter eggs which would be hand-delivered to the children of The Space Centre as the Council in their wisdom had decided to shut Evergreen Lodge over the weekend (typical) however – money has been raised for Evergreen so they won’t miss out!

I must mention that over the years the NWHD Club has donated tens of thousands to the Evergreen Lodge Children’s respite home which is worth mentioning.

Walking into Adlington Cricket Club the tents were all out dotted around and the array of bikes greeted you as you made the considerable walk up to the club stopping off at the food tent beforehand and catching up with various people.

L-R Angie, Jan and Jan with Oggy in the middle






Me hijacking Bandana Ste's Bike again!

One being Bradley Watmuff who himself suffers from cerebral palsy and who presented the Disco the night before and donating half of his fee to the event. This was such a kind and selfless gesture and just has to be mentioned. So it was an honour to shake that guy's hand and like most people who are suffering from one form of illness or another was very modest and couldn’t see what all the fuss was about…

Lovely gesture from Bradley - Well done Bradders!!

of course, it wasn’t just Easter eggs that were donated the bikers dug deep into their pockets as well as their hearts and threw money into the pot for the Children too

We caught up with Scaifey who unfortunately had badly sprained his ankle but was still very much a big part of the rally and always smiling, never seen Ian (Scaifey) without a smile ever!

our smiley Scaifey second from left!

The clubhouse was empty but the food tent wasn’t and so we stayed there for a while catching up with Frances Gypsy Judge and her other half who are original Hippies and proud of it!

A grand couple of original Hippies! 

Mr Road King introduced us to Alan and Jan who both ride hand- built Harleys and Bandana Steve was there to greet us too but a bit upset I didn’t bring my motorbike helmet as he was going to take me on the egg run, but after having problems with my back last Thursday decided not to push things just in case, but it was a shame as the weather was so nice, but always next time.

Bandana Ste and Oggy!

Oggy and Mr Road King!

As 12 noon approached we all got ourselves lined up for the procession and headed off – the first half of the run was trouble free until some idiot dodged in front of us and we lost the procession but thankfully Mr Road King had a friend called Frank whose number he had stored on his phone and we were able to find out the address and postcode and so programme the sat-nav so although we were the last to arrive, there were staff to greet us and show us where to take the eggs.

 Ready for the off!


Children were milling around the place with their parents and grand-parents it was lovely meeting some of them. It is always overwhelming seeing how those little children cope with some of the most awful afflictions and yet they take like by the horns and really shrug it off. They are warriors in every sense of the word and their parents/grand-parents are just the most loving and doting people you could ever wish to meet. They are indeed a special breed of person who put their children above everything and everyone even themselves.

The Space Centre are run by Jane and Sally and Jane told me that the building had been running for 25 years and in the last 4 of those years they had managed to buy more space for the children as well as the beautiful gardens for them to play in.

Sally, Jane and John at the Space Centre

As I was talking to Jane one little boy and his mum came in and announced he had found all the eggs in the Easter egg hunt and so he was allowed to choose his own egg from the massive table of donated eggs which were about two foot high with eggs 

The choice is so difficult!!

and there's more

– in fact, we couldn’t fit all the eggs on the table there was that many. He chose an egg and turned round and said “Thank you!” to me, I could feel the tears but managed to stave them off as I went around and met a few of the children Daisy was with her grandparents and sister and she is soon turning 5, so Happy Birthday Daisy!

The delightful daisy who is nearly 5 and her lovely family

Sophie left and Lily right

Little Eva

Lovely Joe and his dad 

Happy little Ewan and his dad

Then I met Lily and Sophie who were colouring some lovely photos of Easter eggs and then little Eva turned up to show me her picture. They were just such lovely kids I wanted to take them home with me. Next little lad I met was Joe who was looking a little tired but there was so much going on for him to take in so I couldn’t blame him at all for feeling tired. His Mum and Dad looked so proud and rightly so, he was a little star! The last little guy I met was Ewan and he looked happy as anything and posed for a photo with his dad. They were great memories to take away for sure.

 Oggy, John and Joan
me, John and Joan

As we were all on a big high after meeting the staff and children at The Space Centre Mr Road King had a brain wave about going and seeing the latest Harley model at the HD Motorcycle shop in Preston so we got in the car and drove over there. Oh my, I was in my element at the Rally seeing those bikes lined up along the path but this was something else entirely. For me I thought the bikes were going dirt cheap, from just over 5 grand used to around 17,000 – I thought they would be a lot more expensive, so as I am snapping photos and trying not to let my tongue hit the floor Oggy and Mr Road King were laughing at me saying I thought the bikes were cheap but meaning more bike for your bucks.



I loved the GS750 STREET it was a monster and low enough for me to get my feet flat on the ground something which I never seem to be able to do on chairs let alone bikes and at just over 5,000 boy, did I wish I could just ride off into the sunset on that – I would have been a very happy woman indeed. But I can dream!




We went up to Beckie’s Diner and I am sure she is a relation to Mr Kipling because she does make exceedingly good cakes, to coin a phrase. We had a little catch up with Alan and Jan before heading back to the car for the next part of the event – the Rally!

After dropping off Mr Roadking we promised to be back for around 7.30, in fact, we made it for around 7.00, eager to partake in the event.

The clubhouse was full although there were a few seats left – the band The Lost Pirates had already set up and were doing a sound check and I coyly asked at the bar was there going to be a raffle to which the reply was yes! So again in my element and I approached Angie to ask her not to forget us so she came over first and I picked out 15 strips of white, yellow, blue and Oggy picked the green. The band did some good numbers and had the crowd up and dancing – we are veterans to rock and metal and it is a lifestyle very much so as generation after generation take their place in the fold – people not into rock and metal will never ever understand the feeling it gives someone being part of a massive family of rockers/bikers – it is hard to describe but once it is in your system it never leaves – it has you by the short and curlies and will never let its grip loosen for a second, as rockers and metalheads far and wide will agree.

 The Lost Pirates



At last, it was time for the raffle and everyone, as usual, were looking over at the large spread of multicoloured tickets scattered over our table and there was a lot of prizes to be had. Number after number was called and none of them mine, so I was about to throw the towel in when Pete the Harley Chairman called out Blue 208 all that was left was a black and a blue Shindig T-Shirt one large black and one medium blue and I chose the blue one as I have the black one at home already after the last shindig and was more than thrilled with my prize cos it is a Harley T-Shirt after all. Sod the alcohol and the ale a T-Shirt you can keep and remember the good times and that is what I intend to do when I wear it.

 My T-Shirt


I spoke to Oggy about becoming an associate member of the Harley Club ages ago and he kept telling me I had to have a Harley, so I thought I would never make it into the fold, however on speaking to Mr Road King he said, “Speak to Pete!” so I did while Mr Road King was at the bar I went up to him and said “Please will you ask Pete about me becoming an associate member and so he did! Not before all the banter started like for initiation Oggy said that I had to lie bare assed over the bar and be smacked with a cricket bat – lmao although Pete assured me that was the initiation for the Rugby team and I had nothing to fear, however, there was a bit of paperwork to fill in and my subs and then Pete said I would get my badge the next day but unfortunately we were not going to be there at Adlington Cricket Club then but as it happens he doesn’t live far away from us so I will be on to him for my badge for sure!

It was an absolutely perfect day, everything ran smoothly and even the things that were a little crooked got straightened out, and not made into a big deal.

 Me and bandana Ste having a Harley moment lol

Club Members enjoying the night

The children received their eggs, and the bikers had a great rally, what more could you want?

~~~~~~~~~~

Special thanks to Pete Galastra, Bandana Steve, Frances Gypsy Judge and her other significant half, Angie and the two Jan’s in the food tent, the Adlington  Bar Staff, Ian Scaifey, Jan, Rick and John, Alan and Jan, Bradley Watmuff, John and JoanGraham Road King, Frank for his knowledge! The Devil’s Disciples, The staff at The Space Centre Sally and Jane, The children, Daisy, and her family, Lily, Sophie, Eva, Little Joe and his family and little Ewan and his dad – lovely meeting you all. Thanks to The Lost Pirates for the music, the staff at the Harley Davidson Shop (for allowing me to drool all over their bikes and sit on one :D ) and the girls at Beckie’s Diner and of course to my wonderful Oggy who is the best chauffeur around and has a heart of gold!

Please forgive me if I may have got your names wrong it is not intentional but there is a lot of people to remember and it is all doen by an ailing memory. (If I have got your name wrong please let me know and I will amend it asap) Thank you!





No comments:

Post a Comment