Total Pageviews

Monday, 30 May 2016

Scopyons plus support from The Michael Schenker Experience - The Flowerpot - Derby - 28th May 2016

Scopyons Plus support from the Michael Schenker Experience
The Flowerpot
Derby
28th May 2016



The Michael Schenker Experience – Bolton

Links:

Genre: Classic Rock Tribute

Phil ‘Michael Schenker’ Odins

The Flowerpot is a comfortably large venue that has plush seating and even its own library, so while you are waiting for the bands to enter into their zone you can zone out in style.

The venue was filling up fast as the band’s sound checked and everyone was on shining form. The atmosphere was electric and we were all looking forward as to what lay ahead for the evening.

The room itself was dark with just the lights shining on the small stage but the atmosphere grew with each passing moment.

At 8.45 pm sharp The Michael Schenker Experience got behind their mic’s and the gig started. Already the venue was filling up and there was a host of people around the front of the stage and that was before a single note was played.

Having seen ‘Michael Schenker’ alias Phil Odins at the Round House in Bolton I already knew what to expect but it still didn’t stop the air escaping from my lungs as I saw him take his place right of stage. Everything about this guy was Michael Schenker, I even think the real Michael Schenker could safely retire and let Phil take over and nobody would know the difference!



More and more people took their place in front of the stage and waited with baited breath as the first chord was stuck and then all hell broke loose! We may be a more ‘mature’ audience but there was no asking if people wanted to come nearer to the front it was jam packed, as the band launched into ‘Into the Arena’ heads were going and bodies were obeying their metal master!







They played favourites of mine like ‘Love to Love’ a superb UFO classic and ‘Rock Bottom’ ‘Doctor Doctor’ ‘Mother Mary’ ‘Victim of Illusion’ and ‘Too Hot’ to name but a few.

My only gripe was that the lead vocalist tended to hold the mic away from him so some of the words were lost and he looked a bit awkward on stage in my opinion, - that was a real shame, but the music itself was strong, powerful and downright heavy!



I couldn’t contain the joy inside me as I watched Schenker dish out these tracks with precision engineering! The mere fact Phil looks so much like the real deal was a bonus and clearly appreciated by everyone that graced the venue the other night.

The truly multi-talented Barry Lowe played drums for The Michael Schenker Experience on two tracks before taking up residency back with The Scopyons but on rhythm guitar as Rudi Schenker.

The Michael Schenker Experience didn’t have a drummer for this gig and Paul Anderson The Scopyons drummer stepped in – amazing to see someone on top form considering he had a heart attack 2 years ago – so well done Paul!



The keyboards played a very important part of the set especially on ‘Love to Love’ the build-up was breath-taking and truly made its mark.

I thought the band would do an encore but maybe not, due to time restrictions? –  but that hour sure flew by, I hardly felt the pain in my back until I finally sat down, but fuck cancer when a live band is playing, you won’t catch me sitting down, well not too long anyways!

I cannot recommend seeing The Michael Schenker Experience enough, they certainly executed a strong and influential set, jammed packed with enough atmosphere to fill the entirety of space and beyond!


The Scopyons - Bolton

Link

Genre: Classic Hard Rock

Members:
Nige 'Klaus' Roberts - Vocals
Daz 'Jabs' Green - Guitar
Barry 'Rudy' Lowe - Guitar
Phil 'Gavel ' Gavin - Bass
Paul Andy Anderson 'Cardiac Atttack' - Drums

It wasn’t very long after the ‘Michael Schenker Experience’ had left when the magnificent ‘Scopyons’ took centre stage. By now fever pitch was already at its highest.

The front of stage rammed with people and me being 5 foot nothing I knew I had to get as near to it as possible, not just to take photo’s but to see the action unfold. Edging forward I nipped into a few gaps and got into the second row – not good enough but just waited patiently for a gap.

Once at the very front I had full access to what was unfolding before my eyes. They played ‘The Zoo’ ‘Holiday’ ‘Dynamite’ ‘Blackout’ and one of my all-out favourites ‘In Trance’ simply because it was the first ever track I had heard back in 1975 on a rock show, recorded on a single cassette deck and annoyingly enough the DJ did not tell me who sung the track or indeed what the track was. But it wasn’t until around 77-78 in Penny Lane Records that I discovered Tokyo Tapes and found the track I had waited so long to find out about! It was a very emotional moment as the needle rode on vinyl and once again I heard ‘In Trance’ after that I started to buy everything the Scorpions had ever released, and still do to this day.










 Harry giving the metal salute!


 Harry getting down to the groove with Matthias!





The Scopyons however are the closest to the real thing as you can possibly get. It is thrilling to see them on stage and do what they do best!

As I was so near the front I noticed the set list and was slightly confused at the last track RYLAH, I thought “Wow don’t remember the Scorpions bringing out that particular track?’ and remembering a certain track from the Scorpions which was a girl’s name thought it has to be that -Turns out when Nigel alias Klaus introduced ‘Rock you like a Hurricane’ that I felt like a complete tool’ as I had mistaken it for Lorelei from Sting in the Tail! D’oh!

But that aside, the Scorpions have released so many albums spanning 50 odd years that I am sure people would forgive me for getting confused at one track as they are hard to keep track of.

The band were clearly at home on stage and acknowledged every person in the swelling audience by giving eye contact and posing for photographs, and this went for the Michael Schenker Experience also.

Michael alias Phil joined the Scopyons on stage for the final track making the line-up complete.


Iconic moment as Schenker once again joins the Scopyons!

It was truly a wonderful evening in sunny Derby, surrounded by friendly people, who turned into new friends, great bar staff and of course seeing two iconic bands.

Photo courtesy of Andy Hibbs.

I thoroughly recommend anyone who hasn’t had the pleasure of seeing these bands before to go and see them play live, because believe me it is like watching the originals in action.

~~~~~~~~~~

A special thanks to Patsy, Michael and Maureen, and of course to the wonderful Kevin Harry Brothers who follows the Scopyons around religiously – loyal to the end, The bar and venue staff, to the amazing Scopyons and Michael Schenker Experience for a superb nights entertainment and of course to my amazing Oggy for driving us there and back!.

 Photo's by Pagan Hel


No comments:

Post a Comment