Metrofest
Day Two: Featuring Metro Manila Aide, Jazzhands, Fantasist, Elephantom,
Crush Depth Experiment, Damp Old Man, and Seven Days of Night
The Lomax
30.11.13
Overview
With a no show from ‘Marooned’ ‘Seven
Days of Night’ opened up around 8.00pm for day two of Metrofest and in getting there pretty handy I saw them sound check –
and well what can I say? ‘On Leather Wings’ was one of the most stupendous
tracks I have heard and my out and out favourite genre too! – heavy electronica.
‘Finger Licking’ and ‘High n Dry’ were also just as memorable. As soon as that
backing track started I was hooked like an unsuspecting fish on a line! The band not only got into their stride but
looked the part too! Very interesting and enjoyable set indeed! Looking forward
to catching them again soon! Also worth noting that ‘Seven Days of Night’ have supported the amazing Aesthetic
Perfection back in July of this year.
Seven Days of Night
Jonny Seven
Well this was a bitter moment seeing the demise of Damp Old Man as it was their last gig
ever - but the sweet moment
knowing they are working on new stuff - two tracks of which were expertly
played at Metrofest and will be
going under the new name of Surprise
Bear Attack! But whatever they choose to call themselves it will always be
a pleasure to see them live as they just ooze gut wrenching rawness and power
all the way! Great set!
Damp old Man
Damp Old Man
Damp Old Man
Bringing a really classy touch to the evening’s events was Jason Thomas Richardson – a man of many,
many, words and all of them totally spot on! Especially the poem about
Birkenhead. Maybe one of the bands could put Jason’s poems to music – now there’s
a thing! I am pretty sure Saul could do it! But a very enjoyable set
indeed. Perhaps Jason should have got up
on stage in between all the bands changeovers though, as I am sure he had
enough material in his bible, whilst giving the audience something memorable to
feast upon other than just a play list.
Jason - Poetry in Motion!
Crush Depth Experiment or CDX for short were up next – and for those who don’t
know are two of the members from Seven
days of Night - Keith and Jason. The music is again powerfully raw and ‘shouty’
- right up my street! Another band to watch out for and who simply lifted the
atmosphere to far reaching decibels of pure magic!
CDX
CDX
Around 9.30 saw the amazing Elephantom
grace the Lomax stage and again such a stunning performance these guys are
pure liquid gold and ones to watch as they have already gained their momentum
now and really set the pace for better things to come – Roll on their next
performance so I can proudly wear my new Elephantom T Shirt!
Elephantom - the men behind the masks
Elephantom
On the last leg of their energetic set, Mike from Shabhoc arrived and
commented he was liking what he was witnessing but after seeing ‘Fantasist’ at
the SOS Fest in 2011 I can honestly say that they didn’t move me at all, but on
seeing them last night at Metrofest they just blew me away! Giving a really
captivating performance that was clearly enjoyed by everyone there and I will now
be seeking out some music from them for sure.
Fantasist
Fantasist
‘Jazzhands’ were I’m afraid, my Achilles Heel – never liked Jazz, never likely
to like Jazz and just not my bag at all.
All those different time changes just confuse the hell out of me as it
is like watching several bands perform together on stage but I suppose you have
to be a musician to appreciate it, so I am told! (Despite someone in the audience thinking I
was a vocalist) definitely NOT! However the ripple in the audience as bodies
threw themselves around said otherwise - but I am sticking to my guns! Jazz is
NOT for me! On a positive note: At least they all matched in orange!
Jazzhands
Jazzhands
Another raffle took place next and Saul took to the stage to give
out more prizes – which thankfully last night everyone was there to receive
their prizes unlike the night before... ‘tumbleweed’ along with more Metro v Food as two large pizza boxes
were waiting for two hungry mouths, the smell drifting under the noses of the
hungry horde and the two lucky guys receiving them and (different from day one
of Metrofest) got stuck in as soon
as MMA started playing, but again a
lot of cheating going on as a small crowd gathered around the boxes and were ‘lifting’
a few slices – I could have joined them as by then I was pretty ravenous, but I
declined!
and the winner is........
mmm Pizza
Oh no not again!
MMA were absolutely fantastic last night, much better than the night
before although still good! Things flowed a lot more smoothly. Saul wore a
beautiful little silver number that showed his chest off superbly, a grin never
far from his lips, as he plied everyone with Jaegermeister and then sung his
heart out on stage, with the crowd doing a lot of mental stuff at the front,
although this is all part of the plan, as you couldn’t fail to be moved by the
words or the music that MMA produce –
it’s just as addictive as a class A drug but with no side effects!
Saul
John
Ropey
Pretty fetching in silver!
Bodies...
A lot of familiar faces in the crowd for day two including Hunter –
still in his sexy red number slurping Jaeger but at the end of the night when
he changed into his ‘normal’ attire was hardly recognisable!
Last night the time whizzed by and I just couldn’t believe that I
had witnessed 7 bands – Seven seemed to be the number of the evening, so maybe
I should buy a raffle ticket this evening for round three of Metrofest with the number 7 in it? Roll
on night three of Metrofest!
No comments:
Post a Comment