Total Pageviews

Friday, 10 May 2013

The World State - Flier - 4 Track E.P - Death Rides a Horse Agency - Released 15th April 2013


The World State
Flier
4 Track E.P
Death Rides a Horse Agency
Released 15th April 2013

The World State - Flier E.P

Flier – Aarhus - Denmark

Links:
https://www.facebook.com/TheWorldState

Listen here:

Genre:
In the band’s own words:     
“The World State is the name of the Danish composer Leif Nielsen´s dream music-project.

Brewed on his high ambitions and a life-long worship of weird old movie-soundtracks, rock, metal and classical music, he has succeeded in getting his ideas of music as it should be, down on the tracks.

In 2009 he began the writing process, and to sought out the right line-up of musicians for the first release under the banner of The World State.

This has now resulted in two E.P´s: "FLIER" being the first, and the second “Traced through Dust and Time” to be released late 2013”

The World State

Flier
On first listening to this I thought hmm how boring, but persevered and I am glad I did as the track does perk up a lot with a constant rhythmic motion amid a haunting classical vocal of Monika Pedersen. Although it is something that I would not over play, as I prefer something a little bit more “Rip your face off!” No make that a lot more “Rip your face off!” But I have to say it is something very different and that can’t be a bad thing.

Engine
Quite an atmospheric track and totally different to the previous one with more of a devious flavour, although the vocals are still very melancholy as before. This is an experimentation of sound-scapes or should that be barren landscapes? With a classical touch and a bit of what sounds like psychedelic thrown into the mix. Quite a strange concoction indeed.

When the Blackening Shows
This appears to be a dirge of doom mixed with classical. But wait a minute those drum beats seem to be getting heavier... In places it does touch and overlap with some rock components – but does not settle on being one thing for too long, just a conglomerate of everything which I am not sure works for me.

Leave
Classical piano – takes me back! Although I would rather not be reminded.

To sum up:
This is a bit of a mish-mash of sounds and although the musicians clearly are musicians it just does not float my boat at all. It does not leave an imprint or make me leap about with excitement - It does not have any direction and can’t make up its mind whether it wants to be classical, rock, doom or?? I don’t know you tell me. The jury is out on this one! Ikke til mig!

5/10

Track List:
Flier
Engine
When the Blackening Shows
Leave

The World State

Members:
Leif Nielsen - Bass, Harmonium, Auto-Harp, Backing Vocals, etc.
Monika Pedersen - Vocals
Ronny Sørensen - Drums, Percussion
Andreas Schubert - Guitars
  

No comments:

Post a Comment